So you love gazing up into the sky to watch the clouds swirl by? How much do you really know about clouds? Take this cloud quiz and find out. Answers are listed at the bottom of the page. Have fun and good luck!
- True or false. We only get cumulus clouds in the summer.
- What is the name of thin, wispy clouds located high in the troposphere that are composed primarily of ice crystals?
- Where would a lenticularis cloud more likely be found? A) near a mountain, B) over the ocean, C) over a desert
- If it is completely overcast, does UV radiation from the sun still make it to the ground?
- True or false. The cloud ceiling is the height of the top of the cloud.
- Can clouds over Wisconsin contain snowflakes even in the summer?
- Which of these clouds would be lower to the ground? A) cumulonimbus, B) stratus, C) altocumulus
- When it is cloudy at night, is the low temperature normally warmer than when the skies are clear?
- What type of cloud would you find an “overshooting top” in?
- True or false. Clouds have different shades to them because each one is composed of different kinds of gases.
- A typical thunderstorm cloud grows how tall? A) 1000 feet, B) 30,000 feet, C) 100,000 feet
- Are than any clouds in the stratosphere?
- A rotating wall cloud may eventually produce what? A) hurricane, B) hot conditions, C) tornado
- Green colored thunderstorm clouds often produce what?
- There are several types of particles in the atmosphere that water vapor condenses on to make cloud droplets. Name two of those particles.
- A halo around the sun or moon usually means what type of cloud is present in the sky? A) stratus, B) cirrostratus, C) mammatus
- True or false? When cumulus clouds line up in parallel strips on a breezy day, the cloud patterns are called “cloud streets”?
- Which of these cities has the cloudiest climate? A) Dallas, B) Seattle, C)Milwaukee, D) Washington D.C.
- Would sinking air motion help to break up a cloud, or maintain it?
- In the U.S, do clouds tend to dump more of their precipitation on the west side or the east side of mountains?
**If you get 10 right consider yourself a cloud apprentice. If you get 15 right, your head is in the clouds for sure. If you get all 20 right, you should have been a meteorologist!
Answers: 1) false, 2) cirrus, 3) A, 4) yes, 5) false, 6) yes, 7) B, 8) yes, 9) cumulonimbus, 10) false, 11) B, 12) yes, 13) C, 14) hail, 15) dust, salt, soot, 16) B, 17) true, 18) B, 19) break up, 20) west side
This post was written by Tony Schumacher on May 16, 2012