Fourth of July was firecracker hot across the Upper Midwest. Many states established record high temperatures for the date. Some of the specific cities changing the record books are listed below.
- North Platte, NE 106 ties the old record of 106 from 1936
- Mitchell, SD 103 old record 101 from 1955
- Detroit, MI 101 old record 98 from 1980
- Madison, WI 102 old record 98 from 1955
- Milwaukee, Wi 102 old record 98 from 1980
- Eau Claire, WI 98 old record 97 from 1999
- Wausau, WI 96 old record 95 from 1999
While not a record, Des Moines, IA registered 100 degrees for the second time this year. The last time that did that in a summer was 2003. They should reach it again Thursday. The last time they hit the century mark at least three times in a summer was 1988 when it happened ten times. Chicago also hit 100 degrees for the second time Wednesday and the last time that happened was 1995.
This post was written by Tony Schumacher on July 4, 2012