I don’t know about you, but I have feeling a bit groggy and tired lately. Perhaps it is just my body and mind adjusting to the shrinking daylight hours and the frequently gloomy skies this time of the year. In any case, what better way to shake off the cobwebs than with a weather quiz. Come on now, you can do it! Don’t worry, you won’t get graded and I won’t tell your friends if you do poorly. Just work through the questions below and test your weather IQ. The answers are listed at the bottom. HAVE FUN NOW and get those brain cells humming!
- Which instrument measures air pressure, a hygrometer or a barometer?
- Typhoons, hurricanes, and cyclones are really all the same storm but are just named according to region. Where would you find a cyclone?
- True or false. The strongest tornado known is rated EF-5?
- Do Chinook winds cause a warming or cooling effect?
- Does the term cloud ceiling refer to the base of a cloud or the top of a cloud?
- True or false. When a low pressure system has an occluded front attached to it it means the storm is fully mature and in the weakening process.
- Do the Great Lakes normally keep Wisconsin warmer or colder than areas just west of Wisconsin in the late fall?
- Which cloud is lower in the sky, cirrus or stratus?
- Rain that freezes into tiny ice pellets before reaching the ground is called what?
- True or false. Air pressure generally increases the higher up you go.
- What is the lowest layer of the atmosphere called?
- Is ozone in the stratosphere a helpful or harmful thing to living organisms?
- True or false. Carbon dioxide traps heat in the atmosphere.
- Is the climate warmer in a large city compared to rural areas?
- True or false. Freezing rain can not occur when it is colder than 25 degrees F outside?
- Vorticity is most closely associated with what? hot air, spinning air, dry air
- True or false. It is usually colder at night when the sky is clear.
- The normal annual precipitation for the Wausau area is about what? 20″, 30″, or 40″
- Do supercell thunderstorms normally produce the strongest tornadoes?
- Which state receives the most lightning?
- True or false. The Coriolis effect has to do with the rotation of the earth.
- What is the coldest temperature on record for Wausau? -15 F, -25 F, -40 F, -50 F
1. barometer, 2. Indian Ocean, 3. true, 4. warming, 5. base, 6. true, 7. warmer, 8. stratus, 9. sleet, 10. false, 11. troposphere, 12. helpful, 13. true, 14. yes, 15. false, 16. spinning air, 17. yes, 18. 30″, 19. yes, 20. Florida, 21. true, 22. -40 F
Posted under Education
This post was written by Tony Schumacher on October 26, 2011